What is BS 5489-1:2020 about?
BS 5489-1 is a revision of the British Standard for road lighting design. It provides guidance and recommendations that are intended to support the BS EN 13201 series and to assist designers of lighting systems in using that standard.
Who is BS 5489-1:2020 for?
The standard is essential for local authority lighting or highway professionals as well as professionals involved in lighting design or manufacture within the highway electrical sector. Users will be:
- Electrical and mechanical engineers
- Lighting engineers
- Surveyors and road construction planners
- Civil engineers
- Town planners and local government authorities
- Lighting manufacturers
Why should you use BS 5489-1:2020?
It promotes a wider understanding of the lighting of roads and public amenity areas and gives guidance on the design decisions that need to be made. Rather than being prescriptive, it makes recommendations that are essential to the design process and that will enable production of designs that are appropriate and justifiable.
BS 5489-1:2020 includes:
- Recommendations on the general principles of road lighting and its aesthetic and technical aspects
- Guidance on operation and maintenance
- Guidance on means of minimizing energy consumption and limiting the impact on the environment and adjacent property
- Recommendations for the design of lighting for all types of highway and public thoroughfares, including those specifically for pedestrians and cyclists, and for pedestrian subways and bridges
- Recommendations for the design of lighting for urban centres and public amenity areas
- Recommendations and guidance for lighting relating to smart cities
- Additional recommendations for lighting around aerodromes, railways, coastal waters, harbours and navigable waterways to minimize the possibility of the lighting interfering with these modes of transport.
How has BS 5489-1:2020 changed since the last update?
The principal changes compared to the 2013 edition are to align the standard with current best practice and with the BS EN 13201 series. New guidance is provided for lighting design when located within a “smart city” environment or when co-located with electric vehicle (EV) charging points.
BS EN 13201-4:2015
BS EN 13201-2:2015
BS EN 12464-2:2014
BS EN 13201-3:2015
BS EN 12464-1:2011
BS EN 13201-5:2015
BS EN 12665
BS EN 60598-2-3
BS EN 40
BS EN 62305
BS EN 12767
BS EN 60598-1
All current amendments available at time of purchase are included with the purchase of this document.
- Number of Pages:
- File Size:
- 1 file , 2.7 MB
- Product Code(s):